You are here
Vision and Mission
Our Vision is a future where Australia’s native plant diversity is valued, understood and conserved for the benefit of all.
We have created, for the first time, a formal network of nine conservation seed banks and three other flora-focused organisations bridging the gap between policy makers, researchers, seed collectors and on-ground conservation and restoration activities.
Our Mission is a national effort to conserve Australia’s native plant diversity through collaborative and sustainable seed collecting, banking, research and knowledge sharing.
- maintains a nationally cooperative seed banking effort
- collects and stores seed in secure seed banks as long-term insurance against loss of biodiversity
- researches ways to improve conservation and restoration outcomes from seed banking
- trains and builds Australian expertise to support conservation and restoration
- shares knowledge about Australian flora and our work.
The SA Seed Conservation Centre collected and banked Grevillea halmaturina subsp. laevis seeds during the 2012-13 collecting season. This threatened plant species is endemic to the Eyre Peninsula. (Photo credit: SA Seed Conservation Centre)